Thursday, April 07, 2011

OXEN




These guys get their own special post because they were my favorite, well, fun-favorite, part of Nauvoo. 



There is a little yard set aside for an oxen ride.  When you go, you get to learn about oxen from the Brother Missionaries--the teamsters-- and then travel in a circle on a wagon the oxen pull.  The oxen are huge!



An ox, I learned, is any kind of male bovine that has been neutered.  This renders them quite calm and lovable--yet still strong enough to haul heavy loads.  The teamsters were great.  They let us pose for pictures with the oxen and pet them.  Elias was dwarfed--but braved petting them. 




Here is the best part--the part that makes this my favorite fun-memory: I really liked the oxen.  I scratched one's chin and face and he was lovin' it.  The teamster was amazed at how much the ox liked me.  The ox, I wish I could remember his name, closed his eyes and lifted his chin for more petting, which I readily gave.  He had a nose the size of a dinner plate.  It was all snotty--coagulated mucous dripped from his nose and mouth.  But I am not queasy, oh no!  Then the dear ox licked me.  And then, oh dear, he must have gotten a tickle in that enormous nose of his because he sneezed.  Unfortunately, my face was at the same height as his nose.  That sneeze sent streamers of snot and drool flying at me!  All the onlookers had a great laugh at my expense--my souvenir for this day was a face full of slime! Too bad I don't have a picture of that!

No comments: