Both Monday and Tuesday we spent touring the old homes of Nauvoo. We went to the brickyard. We went to the Browning Gun Shop, the Blacksmith Shop, toured through several pioneer houses that Wes wanted to see, and played games with the kids at Pioneer Past-times(stilts, hoop-rolling, parlor games, child size cabins and furnishings). The kids loved Pioneer Past-times. We walked down the Trail of Hope (it used to be called the Trail of Tears--the sad trail pioneer families took to when they left their beloved Nauvoo to head west because of persistent persecution). We also went to the Nauvoo Temple with the children to take pictures and walk the grounds.
Some places we didn't get to go to but wanted to: the Tin-Smith Shop, a few of the Homes Wes wanted to see, and we didn't get to go on the carriage ride (it was too full). Wes also wanted to do a tour of the RLDS property and homes, but I didn't think the kids could tolerate any more historical home tours. Also, it wasn't Free, like everything else, and I didn't want to pay to make the kids grumpy! I told Wes to go ahead and go, but he chose to stick with us.
When Tuesday morning dawned, we were all sad that it was our last day in Nauvoo. All of us felt we could stay for another week.
Here is our blacksmith. He taught us all about black-smithing.
We all got a nail that was bent into the shape of a ring--a "Prairie Diamond."
One of the things we showed us were the cages that were built
for the oxen to contain them so that they could
have shoes put on them.
Wes was interested in the blacksmith shop because his
grandfather was a blacksmith in South Dakota.
The forges and bellows were pretty neat.
In this photo the kids are standing in one of the oxen pens.
I guess they need new shoes.
We went to the shoe shop and learned how to "Cobble."
Here is the troop outside of one of the homes we toured.
I think this one is the John Taylor home.
Here is the little hand-carved rocking horse that John Taylor
rode back to Nauvoo to fetch after they had already left.
His son really wanted it, so he went back for it.
Notice the child potty chair in the background!
All the rugs in the homes were hand-made by the
Wes and I in the Browning Home.
The apothecary had a dry-goods store.
I loved the apothecary. It was my favorite place.
There was an herb garden outside for medicines.
I am holding a little wooden bee cage.
Once the bee was in the box, it would be
dusted with flour and then released.
All white, it was easier to track and follow to its
hive where honey could be harvested.
Down by the river, we saw a wagon on a ferry .
The wide, wide river.
Everyone touch the Mississippi. Elias thinks it's slimy.
Sitting outside the Nauvoo temple by a moonstone.
It was late afternoon and they were getting tired.
In front of the temple entrance.
Leah was getting ready to rest.
Here is a cute little froggy we watched.
Looking westward at the end of the street--the "jumping off point"
where the pioneers crossed the Mississippi-either
on ice or on barges and ferries.
Pretty little Leah-Bug.
Silly little Mommy-Bee.
The kids pose at the brickyard.
"See these bricks?! They made them here! In a fire!"
"I am so strong!"
"Uhn . . . I can't lift it!"
Mom and Dad at the brick kiln.
Pioneer Past-times
When you pull alternately on the strings,
the little bear climbs up!
Trying out the stilts.
Yeah! I can do it! (For 10 Seconds).
Here goes Leah.
Even Ryanne joined the fun.
Elias was fascinated by the wooden "Jacob's Ladder" toy.
"Giddiyap Pony!"
Yee-haaa!
Leah is coming out of the mini-cabin.
Inside there were little chairs, washboards,
butter churn and other pioneer items.
Looks like Leah is headin' out to the river
to get some water for her laundry!
Elias is ready to carry the milk to market.
Uhhh! This is so heavy and uncomfortable!
And I don't even have anything in my buckets!
No comments:
Post a Comment