In the end, Elias bought a little metal cannon and some carved wooden balls and barrels and a little carved rock statue of a wolf. These were a good choice for him; he still plays with them. Leah chose two horses and a carved stone cat. Mckay purchased a very fine CTR ring. This choice surprised and delighted me. We had to give him a little extra money, but thought it a worthy cause. Ryanne decided on a replica of the Liberty Jail Key (and later a little statue of Mt. Rushmore). Wes bought me a tapestry of Nauvoo and several books for himself. With him, it's always books (it is endearing). I bought a cute salt and pepper shaker for myself and a spoon for Wes' mom--she collects spoons. I was excited to buy a beautiful painting of the Nauvoo temple. Wes and I also picked out a painting of Carthage Jail for Ryanne. We saw her keep going back over to gaze at it in the shop.
We don't usually do much by way of souvenirs on vacations, but this trip was definitely an exception!
Posing for a handcart picture.
I liked this clock.
Elias really wanted to buy the coonskin cap, pistol,
and leather pouch, but he didn't have enough money.
The kids also tried on pioneer caps.
So Posh!
I liked this idea for teaching the Plan of Salvation.
Some other things the kids really liked were these little wooden wagons,
the wooden ox yokes, and the brass wagons and boats.
One of the places we shopped was the Red Brick Store,
once owned and operated by Joseph Smith,
now owned and operated by the re-organized church.
We bought Rootbeer; no, Leah is not drunk.
We went to the only little (very, very little) grocery store in Nauvoo because Wes was too tired to drive out of town to a more reasonable store. The Grocery store is called "Duck's." Do not go there unless you want to ransom your only child for a loaf of bread. We went when we found out our MRE's weren't any good. We didn't buy much--even though we did have four kids we could have ransomed. I bought enough food to last us three days for about 60 dollars. Ouch. Still, less than the price of 3 meals eaten out. We should have driven out of town, but I couldn't convince Wes to get back in the car.
Question: Why is Elias always, always holding a stick in each hand?! He is a stick magnet.
No comments:
Post a Comment