Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Ryanne the Green Alian

Our Church has a day each year called Mormon Helping Hands. 
We get to wear these cute vests and go out in our community and do service.  It is really fun.  We get big groups together and work on city projects.  Members from all over the state of California meet on the same day in various locations to work tp improve and beautify their communities. 

 Last year our group weeded, painted curbs, cleaned up parks, painted to cover graffiti on walls, and cleaned along roadsides.  Some members worked to improve the park bathrooms. 

This year our group was assigned to use wire brushes to scrape old paint off of an iron fence at a nearby park.  After the fence was sanded down and cleaned up, we painted it.  It was a fun morning. 

All the kids helped some, but Ryanne was an especially diligent worker.  Part way through the morning she began complaining that her nose itched.  Then her eyes swelled and got watery and soon she was in a full-blown hay-fever-allergy attack.  She was scrubbing the fence with an iron brush and the green paint left powder on her hands. 

We all had green hands.  But Ryanne was the only one who had a green face!  She was so itchy that she kept rubbing her nose and cheeks with her green hands.  She didn't know for a long time that she was green and I debated if I should tell her.  But she is twelve.  And there were cute boys there.  So I took her home for an allergy tablet and let her look in the mirror.  Boy was she surprised!  She opted to go back to work at the park . . .  without washing her face!  She was quite proud of her alien features.  Maybe twelve-year-old boys dig that!  


  
"Whoa!  I am so green!"


"Hey! Look at me"



"Cheese, I'm an alien!"

No comments: