Wednesday, June 09, 2010

I graduated . . . .

I graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Biology and Secondary Education . . . .
In the year 2002!

We moved to California for Wes' job when I was finishing up my degree.  In order to graduate, I had to go back up to Provo for eight weeks all by myself to take three classes over summer semester.  They were classes I couldn't take at Cal State and then transfer the credit.  I was required to take these specific classes at BYU.   I left Wes and the two babies (Ryanne was 2 and Mckay was 6-months-old) at home alone.  Wes was on summer break (he was teaching high school).  It was the longest, lonliest 8 weeks of my life.  I lived with a house full of single gals, which was really weird after being married two and a half years.  Fortunately, after a few weeks, I was able to move in with one of my married freinds (thank heavens)! 
Wes was never the same after the "Mr. Mom" adventure--he has always appreciated me as a mom much, much more!

When I returned from Utah, I immediatley began my student teaching at Sultana High in Hesperia.  My Dad helped me get a spot there (he's a teacher too).  That was long and grueling and I have William and Angel to thank for watching Mckay and Ryanne day-in and day-out.  Thank you for helping me graduate!

After finishing That Ordeal, I still had to tackle three classes at Cal-State San Bernardino. Two of them were the physics classes I had been dreading.  I managed them just fine--the last one I finished the ninth month of my pregnancy with Leah.  My classmates at Cal State were betting I'd "Pop" before the quarter was over, but Leah stayed put and I finished finals one week before she was born. 

I was finished!  But Utah was far away, I'd just had a baby.  We were poor.  It just wasn't practical for me to drive or fly up to Utah for Commencement.  I never had a party, got a present, or enjoyed a feast with my family for graduating.  That was fine.  I had pleasure in the fact that I did it.  However, I really wanted pictures of me graduating for my kids; I wanted them to know that I went to college, put myslef through it, payed most of my own way and finished it!

So now, 8 years later, I had a chance to steal some shots in Brice's cap and gown.  I know it wasn't my graduation, and that's okay.  But I did graduate!  And this is the same cap and gown I would have worn if I hadn't been a Mamma to three small kids! 

So, here's for posterities sake:


 
Graduated April 2002
from Brigham Young University
with a
Bachelors in Biology Education



Yeah Me!


"Huh?"
Does this mean I have to get a job now?

I take after my Dad.  He teaches biology too. 
I couldn't have graduated without his help in my student teaching.
Not to metion that he drove me to work every day during that time!
 It was because of his and my Grampy's love for sciences
 that I grew up with a passion for life sciences.


Hugs Graduate!

No comments: