On Donating Blood: Our church has a blood drive every year and I have never gone. Wes always goes, but I don't.
Here is the reason: I donated blood once fourteen years ago. I am not afraid of needles or blood. I love biology stuff . . . . I thought donating blood would be cool. So I donated. I fainted right before my bag of blood was full. They had to throw it all away. I so bummed to see my lovely blood go in the trash. Sigh. What a waste!
Well, Wes and I celebrated our thirteenth anniversary this month. The church was having it's annual blood drive and Wes was recruited to donate. They asked me to go to, and I said, "Sure! It seems a fitting thing to do on a thirteenth anniversary!"
So we went, Wes with gusto and I with trepidation. I drank plenty of water and ate well before going. We donated blood on tables in the cultural hall of the church. I did it! I made it through the bag and felt great! It was a lovely success and I was quite pleased with myself.
We had the kids with us because we were leaving from there to go on a family outing. So the kids and I went to the table for cookies and juice while we waited for Wes to finish up. I sat down and then wham--I fainted. A lady grabbed me so I didn't flop onto the floor.
Passing out is a funny sensation. I felt all tingly and then all warm, and then dizzy and then I was having the most fascinating dream. I really didn't want to wake up. But I did after about forty seconds.
Waking up after a faint is scary and disorienting. I couldn't remember where I was or why I was there or what had happened to the lovely dream I was enjoying. Then they were trying to get me to talk and answer questions and I wanted to speak but my mouth wouldn't work. It felt like everything was in slow motion!
I ended up being very sick, almost throwing up twice, and not being able to get up for forty minutes. It was awful. I was sick, weak and tired for the rest of the day.
But the best part of the story is this: the kids said, "Mom you fainted and then you were snoring! Yeah, you were snoring soooo loud we could hear you out in the hallway! Heee-hee-heee"
Oh dear! What a funny way to celebrate an anniversary!
Tuesday, June 15, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That is so weird. I guess no more donating for you. I love what the kids said though! That was great.
Thanks for the compliments. It was scary about Stefani. A month later a little girl in our ward hit her head while riding her scooter without a helmet and cracked her skull. She can't do anything higher than 2 feet off the ground (no bike, scooter, roller blades, trampoline, jumping in the swimming pool, etc). It was too close to home hearing that and how lucky we really were.
Congratulations on 13 years!
I think you weren't meant to donate blood. Did the air you breathed in suddenly feel really cold before you passed out? You nailed all of the rest of the things that happen. I'm sorry that you were sick for your anniversary celebration and family activity. Thank goodness you have had good ones before and plenty more to come!
Melissa, you are so cute. It happens all the time. We miss you guys! Tell everyone we said hi.
At least you made it through the whole bag and they could use it so the blood didn't go to waste.
Glad you were OK and fainted safely.
Post a Comment