Friday, June 26, 2009

First Harvest

Yes, yes, it is a measly amount of strawberries. There really were more. I have absolutely no idea where they all went (chomp, chomp, gulp, swallow).
The grapes are pretty sparse-- but I just planted the vine and was surprised to get anything on it at all!
We will have a plethora of peppers, tomatoes and squash (several varieties). Also growing are pumpkins, cucumbers, tomatillos, and a variety of herbs.

The apples are teeny. I should have plucked them all off the tree because the tree is so small and really just needed to work on roots. But the kids really wanted to see apples on their tree. They tasted all-right.
We are so excited for dinner: brown rice, steamed green beans and crookneck squash, fresh sliced tomatoes, and black beans with diced bell peppers (our vegetarian meal). I have to say that with the exception of Ryanne (the picky eater), everyone loves and gobbles up our garden-grown dinners. I like the green beans the best and there are plenty more of those!

3 comments:

Jill W said...

Yum-mee! Wow! I can't believe you have that much produce already. What, do you live in California or something?! May your garden continue to be bounteous and your dinners delicious.

The Heitritter Family said...

This looks incredible. I want a garden oh-so-bad but my laziness and lack of experience is holding me back. It kills me how many peppers we eat and I am lucky to get green bell peppers on sale at the store for 65 cents each. Green beans too? Delicious! When is the right time to plant all that stuff? I should ask Ellen, she knows everything and is such a good teacher! I feel inspired!

Heather said...

That is soooo neat! ONE day I might have a garden with fresh fruits and veggies. For now... gotta get from the grocery store. That's awesome! My favorite is green beans too!