Thursday, May 21, 2009

Camping at Silverwood Lake

I took the kids camping at Silverwood Lake when they were off track in April. Ryanne was up north visiting Granparents. Wes was going to join us, but ended up having three weeks of jury duty . . . he was just too busy to take the time off . So, I went solo-parent. It was a lot of work! But we had fun, especially the kids, as you can see:


Mckay was a great helper. He set up his little tent.


Mckay and Leah helped fetch water and start the campfire.

They ran numerous little errands.



All three had fun runnning around in the trees and bushes playing imaginary games. I think camping helps siblings love each other more-- look at Mckay hugging Leah!




Later that afternoon we went swimming
and walked along the shore.



Cute brothers.



The sun bather.



We went on a Monday night, so the campground was almost empty of people and full of squirrels and birds. We roasted hot dogs and marshmellows--of course! We had our Family Night Lesson by the campfire and Mckay shared the sweetest testimony.


Camel Packs.

The next day we went hiking in Miller Canyon.

the kids did a great job hiking and then we had a fun picnic and played in the creek!

What an adventure!

On a bridge across the canyon.


Looking out over the canyon.



Crossing the creek.


Climbing and sunning on the rocks.

In the water
This is one of my favorite pictures.
I just loved how happy and close Mckay and Leah were this whole trip.
And I love the ripples on the water in this photo.


The one picture of the camping mom.


Now you know the tricks to wearing out the boys!

(Yes, Mckay is asleep with his eyes wide open)


Here is a fun video of why we like the creek:

5 comments:

Jennifer Lomenick said...

I am so impressed. This would never happen in our family. I don't like camping enough let alone do it without Mark. You are great. It looks like you guys had a blast.

The Heitritter Family said...

That looks like so much fun! I haven't been camping in ages. Your kids will look back on this trip with fondness!

Blinzinger Family said...

I LOVE camping and used to go with my family all the time. Since being married we've only been 1 time. I miss it!! I LOVED the pics.

Edith said...

How fun! We need to find out where this camp site is, I think we would have fun there.

melissa said...

Edith, you can look it up online, but the Silverwood Lake turnoff is highway 138 in the middle of the Cajon Pass. It's easy to get to and fun! Call me if you want more details. I think the campground (and lake, etc,) was twenty dollars a night.