I got an answer. Here's what we do now; it's really great:
I write to Mckay in his journal. I get to tell him how terrific he is and how much I love him. I ask him interesting questions and sometimes write short stories about when I was a kid. When I'm done writing, I put the journal on his pillow. He reads it and writes back to me and puts it on my pillow. Sometimes, because he doesn't love writing, I include a little motivation like a cool drawing, a sticker, or a little treat. In this way, Mckay and I have spent the last nine months "talking" about all kinds of things: school, family, traveling, sports, friends, missions, testimony, siblings . . . all kinds of things! We don't write every day, but a few times a week. It is the best thing ever! 

6 comments:
What a fantastic idea!! I struggle with this one with my oldest because he is so low maintenance. I don't want him to fall through the cracks. I think I will try this. I learn so much from you, Melissa!
What a neat idea. Melissa, you are a great mom! Thanks for sharing your ideas. I will have to keep that in my mind when I think about my kids and their different personalities.
What a wonderfully smart momma you are! What a lucky boy McKay is. That journal will be a continuous source of joy for both of you through the years.
What a great idea. You are a great mom
oh my Melissa! you are so wonderful. what a lucky boy to have such a creative mom. Thanks for sharing this special thing you do with him. This is an excellent idea for kids who don't like to write either, kind of like reading the scriptures as a family helps kids who have trouble reading.
THAT is sooo great! I actually heard a lady talk about doing this with her son in one of my classes. I thought it was a great idea! (And just a random side note - after talking to her and getting to know her she reminds me a lot of you).
Post a Comment