We like to go camping. Over Christmas break we had high hopes of spending a few days camping--we can do that in December because of the delicious Southern California weather. Even when the weather is cold, and often even when it is rainy,one can putter over towards Palm Desert and find agreeable weather. True, it is desert, but there are still enjoyable activities such as kite flying, hiking and rock climbing, rock and gem hounding, air soft gun wars, archery . . . huge evening bonfires.
Alas, this December, it was too cold for us to brave it. We've actually had one of the coldest winters I've experienced in Southern California. Not that our 28 degree weather can even touch the negative degrees I experienced in Idaho! Still, Wes and I figured it was a little too chilly for the kids (okay--for us parents) to go camping. We were bummed because we didn't have much else to do and we were tired of sitting around in the house.
That's when I came up with the brilliant idea of faux camping. My brother owns a home in the mountains. His mother-in-law lives there, but was out of town for the holidays. I made arrangements and we packed up--off to go "camping" in my brother's house. In the basement, there is a stove and a large, empty spot of carpet. We unrolled our sleeping bags on the floor and started our "campfire."
What a fun time we had . . . as you can see in our pictures. Isn't it funny how just being somewhere else (besides home) can change the atmosphere and create a little adventure?
 |
| Roasting marsh mellows over our campfire. |
 |
I'm not sure about his face???
But I know he's excited to eat his smore. |
 |
| Everyone roasting hot dogs for dinner. |
 |
| It was cold, but since we knew we could get warm and dry, we went out in the forest for a romping good game of "hide-and-seek-air soft." Leah was the best hider, but when the opposing team found her, she had to be saved by her teammates! |
 |
| My mom makes me wear these silly goggles so I don't shoot my eye out! |
 |
| "How do these look on me?" |
 |
| Watch out for dad, he's a good shot! |
 |
When we got too cold, we played monopoly as a family for the first time ever.
It was New Year's Eve, so we played long hours late into the evening. |
 |
| And we ate donuts. |
 |
Oh Yeah!
Nice lipstick Ryanne. |
 |
| Then we cheered in the New Year and toasted with our Martinelli's. |
 |
| The next day we went to the playground. |
 |
| It was cold, but after running around for a bit, we started to shed the layers. |
 |
| We played basketball, |
 |
| They had fun trying to slam-dunk the ball. |
 |
| I just thought they were cute. |
 |
| Someone, Mckay I think, had the crazy idea of playing snow soccer! That was wild! |
 |
It's not an easy thing to run and kick a ball on icy, melting snow!
|
 |
| "Ahhhh!" "I'm falling!" |
 |
| Several people ended up on their bums! |
 |
| Elias kept throwing snow at me! |
 |
| Ryanne wanted to use her new water polo ball to practice throwing and catching. |
 |
| Mcaky, Wes and I had a quick lesson from her on how to handle the ball . . . |
 |
| He doesn't look as sure of himself as he did when playing soccer and basketball! |
 |
| In the meantime, Leah and Elias had fun on the playground. |
 |
| Upside down sliders! |
All-in-all we had a great two day get-away and most of all,
we really enjoyed spending some uninterrupted time as a family.
No comments:
Post a Comment