Wes let me sleep in today; he drove Ryanne to seminary. And Mckay got himself up and fed and ready for school. I didn't get up until 7am. Ahh.
Today was one of those fun mornings with Mckay and Leah and Elias. We laughed and joked and hugged and tickled as we all got ready for school. I enjoyed hearing Leah practice piano and sing along to "I love to see the Temple." Elias was nice today and did his chores without being grumpy.
One bummer of my morning: exercise. Not the exercise itself, just my pain. I get so frustrated because I LOVE to run. I've tried swimming and the elliptical, weight lifting, even yoga. I like those things, but I don't LOVE them. Running, I LOVE! But running is not friends with my feet and shins. It seems that no matter what I do, I am always needled by shin splints. Today I started to jog, hoping to stay at the new and improved Wes-pace, but that didn't last for long. He took off and ran four 9 minute miles. I walked. 2 and a half miles. Thanks to my shins and a knee that was griping. Oh well. At least I walked. It was a pretty day outside and I did enjoy it. But I missed running with Wes and chatting while we gasp for breath!
I just read the story of David and Goliath: 1 Samuel chapter 17. I've heard the story so many times, I didn't expect to be so uplifted by it. I was. David's faith in God is so amazing. He knows he has skills with the sling, but even more, he knows God: "The Lord that delivered me out of the paw of the lion , and out of the paw of the bear, he will deliver me out of the hand of this Philistine." He doesn't say he hopes God will deliver him, he
knows God will deliver him. He says to Goliath: "I come to thee in the name of the Lord of hosts . . . [and I will beat you] . . . that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel."
Sometimes when I pray for blessings, I just
hope the Lord will hear me. I just
hope he will honor me. And on occasion, I have
known that God would hear my plea and deliver me. And He has. Sometimes the deliverance may seem small or insignificant to others, but it never is to me.
I need to increase my faith and my own confidence before the Lord that I may more often
know that He will deliver me (or those I am praying for). I understand that David was not asking a blessing on himself--but seeking to deliver Israel and testify of God, but the Lord knows when a sparrow falls to the ground, and surely He knows my needs and the intent of my heart. And my intent is to serve and honor Him, even if I am imperfect at it. Why not, then, "let thy confidence wax strong in the presence of the Lord
(D&C 121:45)" and "ask in faith, nothing wavering
(James 1:6)" more often? I need to make my prayers better--more meaningful--and do this more often.
So that was my thought for today.
As for pictures of the day, here are some fun ones I've taken of Leah lately. She is 10, turning 11 in April and in 5th grade.
 |
| Playing in the backyard with siblings and cousins. |
 |
| Being Silly. (Can you see her tonsils?)! |
 |
Getting what she dreamed for Christmas: and art easel.
Even better--it was made by hand by Grampa. |
 |
| Getting ready to water color! |
 |
| Loving her Aunt Raroo's kitty. |
 |
| Helping at Mckay's Eagle Scout Project (more about that later). |
 |
| Archery with Dad. |
 |
| It's harder than she thought! |
 |
| Making Sugar cookies and ginger bread houses with Mimi. |
 |
| Hanging out with her cousin Raelin. |
1 comment:
Melissa, oh how I ache for you not to run without pain. I wish that I had the desire to run. I HATE IT! I need to be more like you and love it. I exercise 3 times a week at the church with some friends at 5:45 in the morning and LOVE it. I love how it makes me feel. I just don't love the running part.
Thanks for your insight into scriptures. What a thought to think about when praying. Thanks! You are awesome!
Post a Comment