Monday, January 07, 2013

What Makes A Day

It's been ages . . .
But I felt the urge to write this morning and realized I needed to get back into journaling and writing my blog for everyone else (especially Grammas) to read.  I'll try to get some fun pictures in here soon.  I can't possibly catch up on the past, so the only direction is forward.

 
I feel sad when I look in my journal and see the blank pages and realize how many amazing moments in my life are left to deteriorate with my memory.  But I also feel a little joy at knowing that the reason I haven't written is because I am sooo busy with four beautiful children and a husband I dearly love. 

Today I simply feel like writing about today.  Nothing spectacular, but it's my life and it's what I do every day.
I got up at 5:00 today because Leah had set her alarm wrong and woken up early.  She climbed into bed with me to snuggle.  Usually the space I get crammed into between Leah and Wes turns into a roaring furnace and I can't stand it for more than a few minutes.  But today it was so cold that the "Leah-Wes Sandwich" was a happy place to snuggle.  Leah went back to her own bed after a half hour or so.  Wes got up and got ready for work.  I know Wes and I  prayed together before he left, but I don't remember it.  Oops!

 By 6 I was out of bed and bugling for the troops to get up--Monday is Piano lesson day and Mckay and Leah have to leave early.  I made breakfast (um-not so well today.  I burned the oatmeal because I forgot about it as I was collecting laundry)!  Had to do that over! Then I made 5 lunches with 5 different kinds of sandwiches --you'd think they could all like the same thing, but No! They all have their own quirks! This one only likes honey.  That one doesn't like peanut butter, this one only eats strawberry jam, etc.

 Leah and Mckay are getting ready for school and doing their daily chores.  Ryanne has her rare sleep-in day:  No seminary on Mondays because the high school starts late.  She sleeps until about 6:45.  Elias is zonked and I ignore him.  On Mondays Ryanne gets him fed and going on his jobs.  (Thank you Ryanne). 

At 6:55 I am in the car honking for Mckay who is late.  But we get off and then I remember we didn't pray together, so Leah prays in the car for us.   We pick up Charlotte and head to the piano teacher's house.  We squeak into the driveway only one minute late and the kids rush inside.  I have thirty minutes to sit and wait for Leah . . . I brought scriptures with me . . . but instead I check my e-mail and read through Face Book posts that I haven't checked for a week. 
When Leah is done with her lesson, I leave.  Mckay gets a ride to school with Charlotte's mom.  It's a great arrangement. 

Leah and I get home with a half hour left before she and Elias need to go to school. When we walk in the door, we find Elias standing inside his bathroom sink dancing! He is wiggling his tush while he washes the mirrors.  I laugh at this kid every day!  He's such a hoot!

 
Now it's time for more chores.  Make the beds, switch the laundry, pick up toys and junk that accumulated over the weekend.  I help Elias to read the Book of Mormon.  He's eight and so I have challenged him to read at least eight verses a day.  Today he is in Helaman. 

Before long, it's off to school.  I usually make the kids walk, but it is super windy today, so I drive them.  Besides, I need to talk to the school science teacher about Mckay's Eagle Scout Project (he's building a green-house in the school garden).  And I have to take Mckay's cello to the junior high.  I do those things and get home just in time to catch Wes headed out on a run.  So we go together.  He's faster; I can't keep up.  But I put in three miles.  It feels so good, even in the crazy wind.
 
After getting showered and ready for the day I make three primary phone calls, and talk to the sister missionaries about going on a visit with them later in the week.  I switch the laundry and find that something has exploded in the washer--there is all this brown sludge coating the clothes.  Fortunately it's a load of jeans and the mud--wherever it came from-- seems to be coming right off.  Phew! 

I take the next half hour to read the scriptures.   I'm studying the Old Testament and read in Samuel chapters 11-14.  I read the student study manual too, because sometimes the Old Testament is confusing.  I enjoy my reading and have some interesting thoughts as I go. 
It's been four weeks since I've had quiet time and I am loving it.  It's great to have the kids home for vacation and holidays, but I never seem to "commune" when they are home.  It feels peaceful to be back on my schedule and able to run and read.  And write. 

Now it is noon.  The two younger kids have a minimum day and will be out in an hour.  We have a visit to make to Elias's Primary teacher at 1:30 because it's his birthday.  After that it will be kid talk, homework, dishes, dinner,  and Family Home Evening--a spiritual lesson, family games, and dessert together.  Which reminds me, I better stop typing and prepare a lesson for that. 

It's a busy life and time alone in the house is rare and sweet.  Time to do something for myself is almost extinct.  But that's okay.  I knew that when I signed up for and committed to being a mother of four children.  It's going by way too fast anyway--three and a half  more years with Ryanne and four with Mckay.  Yikes.

So, this is my typical Monday.  And I like it. 

2 comments:

Jill W said...

Last year Morgan had piano lessons before school. It was kind of crazy. Thank goodness for Kindles that can be read in the dark and understanding neighbors who don't call the police because some crazy woman is lurking in her car.
I totally hear you on the sandwiches. Morgan likes peanut butter and jam/honey. Sophie doesn't like sandwiches (try to fill that gap!), Malynn likes butter and jam, and Alison likes plain jam, but it has to be frozen strawberry or raspberry. It's the only time I fix a meal to their preference. Heidi is going to die in a couple of years when she goes to first grade because I won't be there to make her Easy Mac.
I love your day. I love that you love your day. You are an amazing, wonderful girl.

The Heitritter Family said...

I missed you. And I loved every single bit of this!