Wednesday, June 01, 2011

3rd Grade Whale Watch Field Trip

Leah's class went on a whale-watching trip.  They were scheduled to go in March, but it was too windy and the trip was cancelled.  The boating company was booked up until May--past whale migration season.  But we went anyway.  Who can pass up a boat ride on the sea?  And there are always dolphins.

Leah had to pick a buddy for the trip, so she and her
classmate Breanna were partners.

Leah was prepared for wind and cold. 
What we didn't know was if her tummy would manage.
She gets motion sickness so easily and throws up a lot
on car rides.  I felt she was going to be miserable the whole trip. 
That was part of the reason I wanted to go along.

All the kids were excited to get on the boat.  Here are Breanna and Leah just after we embarked on our journey out of Long Beach.

There goes the harbour.

"Hi! Me and Breanna and my mom are having fun!"

The first sign of wildlife.
Pelicans

Then lots and lots of dolphins! Fun!

"Yeah! I am not seasick.  I love this! I love the ocean. 
 I am never going back!"

Sebastion, Breanna, Leah, and Matthew hanging out.

Later Leah and Breanna were tired of rocking and rolling on the deck, so they lie down for a sunny nap.

I couldn't ride the bus (too many 3rd graders)
So I begged a ride from my friend Catherine.
This is her little girl, Caitlin.

Leah and Caitlin watching for more dolphins.

Mrs. Allen, the science teacher, " What is that?  I see something over there!"
Matthew, "Please, no more dolphins."
 

But it is not a dolphin at all!
It is a grey humpbacked whale!
It is two gray humpbacked whales, a momma
and a baby! They are travelling slowly and late in the season!

What a fun surprise!
We did not expect to see any whales!

After the whales, Leah got a little queasy and so she rested.

Last thing we saw, a bunch of sea lions and one seal snoozing on a buoy.

Walking back to the school bus, Leah and a friend are towing Caitlin along.

What a fun day with my girl and her friends!

No comments: