Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Summer Vacation to Nauvoo: California, Nevada, Colorado, and Kansas

We started our trip at about 4:30 in the morning on Tuesday June 28th. It's always best to get boring desert driving over with when you are fresh and the kids are asleep; California swished by in the wee hours. We fueled and had breakfast at State Line, Nevada . . . a silly tradition of ours on every I-15 trip we take.  We eat on the curb in the parking lot between the gas station and McDonalds.  This may seem strange, but there is a story.  
(travelling-story-from-years-past).  If you don't need to know the story, carry on . . . .


Breakfast At State Line, NV:  in the parking lot.
Elias is glad to be out of the car streeeetch!

Now he is doing karate, while Leah hopes for peace. 


A similar lunch.
We are now in Richfield, Utah.
Everybody geta a sandwhich, carrots, grapes, juice and a few cookies. 

The Highlight of our trip on day one was . . .
no, not the beautiful red and white striated Utah Cliffs,
But Dad Singing, at the top of his longs,
while dancing, while driving.
He was singing along with the radio to "Let's hear it for the Boys." 
We laughed so hard! Nothing is as good as laughter!
Sadly, I can't find the silly picture of him singing . . .
You'll all have to ask him for a Replay
of the show!




We finally arrive in Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
We have been driving for thirteen hours. 
They sky is laden with rain clouds and we are supposed to camp. 
Wes vetos camping and grabs a hotel room. 
Hooray!  No more work for me. 
 We have pizza for dinner and the kids swim in the pool. 


I loved the sky in Colorado. 


The kids find the funniest things to enjoy. 
This is the side of the 70 freeway. 
We went for a walk on a path that went under the freeway.  
The kids couldn't pass up this "climbing wall". 
I let them--any chance to use up energy
after that car ride sounded good to me. 

It was very steep. 
I sitll like the clouds.

Their were a lot of bird nests under the freeway!


We enjoyed seeing the Colorado River-Author of the Grand Canyon. 
There were some kayakers the kids enjoyed watching.

Wes made us all touch the water. 
 "Now," He said, "in a few days, the water you just touched 
will have been through the Grand Canyon and washed out to sea!"
I wonder how long it does take water to go from Colorado to the ocean?


My wonderful family. 


This is what I loved about Colorado!
It was amazingly beautiful!
We planned our trip specifically
so I could see the mountains of Colorado.
I loved them!

On the contrary, our next day in Eastern Colorado
and Kansas was anything but gorgeous:
Driving through Kansas the next day
(for 12 hours) was really fun!
Here is what we saw:
Grass.

More grass.

More grass.
Redundant grass.

Hey--there's that white pole again,
 haven't we seen that before?

Oh, some bushes and trees! Hooray!

More bushes!

More grass!  Whee!
We just love looking at flat plains of grass
as far as the eye can see!


Boredom in the car leads to strange things!
Hands, Feet, and lollipops!


He's got mad-cow disease.


AHHH!  Pencil in the nose. 
He's crazy!


We took one stop in Kansas--you know,
just to enjoy the view some more. 
And eat lunch. Guess what we saw?
Yup--a field of grass!

1 comment:

Edith said...

Oh, I love Colorado. We moved from there when I was in 1st grade but it's still home and my friend lives in Glenwood Springs.
Sounds like a lot of fun on your travels!